From the kitchen of Jennie Goldress, daughter of Federation adult education instructor Leslie Goldress. Adapted from Bon Appetit, December 2000.
Makes about 24 latkes
- 2 pounds red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams), peeled and coarsely shredded
- 2 tablespoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Stir sweet potatoes and ginger in large bowl to blend.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in medium bowl to blend.
- Stir flour mixture into sweet potatoes.
- Mix in eggs.
- Add enough oil to heavy large skillet to coat bottom generously.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, drop sweet potato mixture into skillet, using scant 1/4 cup batter for each latke.
- Using spatula, gently flatten each latke to 2-1/2 to 3-inch diameter.
- Cook latkes until brown on bottom, about 4 minutes.
- Turn and cook latkes until brown on second side and cooked through, about 4 minutes longer.
Please login to leave a comment